History of Our Building

The Bunbury Museum and Heritage Centre building was started as a school in 1886 and named after a longstanding head teacher and community leader, Mr Thomas Paisley.

Over the years it has also housed a trade training centre, visitor centre, theatre and restaurant, and dance studios.

​Right in the heart of the city, the building is now state heritage-listed and has been beautifully restored by the City of Bunbury with the assistance of Lotterywest and a successful community fundraising campaign. A new roof, floor, cabling, and damp treatments were combined with the removal of concrete and inappropriate fixtures and fittings, giving the building a new lease of life as a focal role for the community.

The stories of the building and the schoolchildren, artists and performers who brought it to life over the years are now told in interactive displays for all ages to enjoy.​​